Thursday, July 19, 2012

More Than Facebook

I can admit that when I first heard about Facebook I was in High School and I really didn't care anything about it. Then Facebook was only for College Students, and I was not one that griped about why it was only for college students because I wasn't in college so I didn't really even care. I was still social networking on MySpace which at the time didn't cause my life lots of stress or problems. Then Facebook finally was available to all users. Anyone with an email could make a page and enjoy what Facebook truly had to offer. I searched for many friends I already kept in contact with on MySpace and Sconex. I made new friends off of thread conversations and people just adding me to make more friends. Facebook was now the new thing - like a new form of "right of passage". But what I wasn't aware of in the beginning was that Facebook was much more personal, a more in your face account of my day or my thoughts, my moods. Everything was up to me but what to share, what not to share. Miscommunication and realizing that the people that I once considered my friends could potentially annoy me at the drop of a status. I used to "over share" but it was my escape from my drama it helped me express when I was angry (which as a teenager you usually are). It began to get so bad that I started to have people on my page that I knew I didn't even like when I went to school with them. Facebook tends to be the blame for everything that goes on, it isn't solely just a websites fault that you do not get along with people you care about, or the people you wish you never met. It is also up to the people that utilize the site to decide what they want to get from it. Now some people are very private people and Facebook never causes them any problems but in a world where everyone feels alone but has so many people to share their most personal thoughts about anything and everything things can get very very ugly. Many have stopped sharing how they feel face-to-face and just began to take to the online social web of expressing one's needs and wants and that may or may not be a good thing. Even I have slowed down over the years of what I post and what I talk about because I am a lot happier keeping my business to myself - I was causing my own headaches sharing my glories and triumphs sometimes even my trials with those individuals who couldn't even cared if I was OK or whether what I was saying was true or not. I started losing "real"friends at one point or another because many people become "online sensations" and forget who they really were and begin to try and attack you online to make a better name for themselves. There are many pros and cons to adding and deleting and blocking and unsubscribing from the friends and pages and people we love to hate (or love to love). I just know that everyday I post less and less; and each day I get lonelier and lonelier because those people were never there for me before Facebook and realistically speaking many of the people I have befriended are not real friends, they are not the people that came into my life because "fate" decided that they would be apart of my life. I did with the click of an "add friend". I vowed to myself this year that I would put up with as less drama as possible and I have kept that promise but lost a lot of overly sensitive socially emotional individuals that use Facebook as a means of comfort. I do hope that this addiction that I have with sites like Facebook continue to wean. I might go on everyday but  I do not feel the need to post all the time anymore, I no longer get jealous of the posts of crushes, I do not even get defensive and feel the need to comment every post that I want to argue. I censor myself and what I want to say in order to stick to the "No Drama" Policy that I have going...I just now need to continue to actually blog and write and find other things to do that are more positive. I have been on such a better path since I decided that there are so many other things to do than to sit on Facebook all day even if I do nothing else I would rather do nothing than continue to let Facebook be such a large portion of my day or the reason why I am feuding with others - But it has taught me a lot about myself, about others, and about where people are heading socially and a lot needs to change. I just hope that one day things will go back to life B.F.B. (Before Facebook).


No comments:

Post a Comment